CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chest pain and an ambulance ride

Thursday nights are scout night and as Dave is the scout leader for our local scout group I not only have the older two out but him as well! I had a relaxed night watching tv and managed to get the 2 littlies down by 8pm. Really a miracle in our house!! I was flicking through the tv channels looking for something else to watch when Dave and the kids got home. So 8:30 or so they all walk in the door and Dave mentions that he had a twinge in his left arm, yes left arm!! I already had alarm bells going off in my head at this point. He came over and quietly whispered to me that he had a burning feeling on his chest. Well I immediately started badgering him about his heart. "you do know that you're the perfect age for a heart attack.""how are you feeling?" "what about now?" "and now?" "is it getting worse?" and on and on I went... The kids went straight to bed and then with much more badgering and of course consulting Dr Google on both our sides he decided to call triple zero (our emergency number here in Australia). They asked him how old he was and what he'd felt and then dispatched an ambulance. I swear we could hear it coming before he got off the phone! I went outside to direct it to our place and before you know it two very calm and friendly paramedics were giving Dave aspirin to chew on, shaving his chest to attach electrodes and taking an ECG of his heart. What a scary thing! And what a wake-up call for the both of us. Life is short and you shouldn't sweat the small stuff PLUS if anything went wrong I wouldn't know the first thing about running Daves business or where any policies were or what policies we have or the passwords for anything. Luckily there was absolutely nothing wrong other than scaring the shit out of both of us and taking 8 hours out of Dave's night running bloods, an x- ray and more ECGs. Because I was home with all four kids Dave had to travel to hospital by himself, spend 8 hours anxious about what they might find and then in the morning after 2 hours of sleep catch a cab home by himself. I was worried but knew that if there was anything wrong he was in the right place. Neither of us got much sleep! We have though now discussed some of those worrying thoughts I had and realise that we need a back up plan if Dave's sick or otherwise disposed. It also made us realise how much we love each other and how pointless some of the arguments and disagreements we have. Also we really need another holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment