Dave bought our Costco membership on line and we've finally been to get our cards, visit the store and make our first purchases.
We got a great deal on Huggies nappies which were $58 for a box of 184, and bought a few other odds and ends which set us back $210! I read a few forum posts about Costco shopping and how to do it so that you actually save money. People suggested that you first arrive in a big enough car. People mover - check! Next you knew your prices. Other store catalogues (not a check here, but useful for our next expedition). Stick to fresh or dried, canned foods and avoid prepackaged meals that are super high in fat and are NOT cheaper. Check. We bought a big package of snow peas, some cucumbers and a package of cos lettuces. All will last long enough to be eaten. Be prepared to spend a few hours there. Check. Stay calm. Harder to do with the HUGE crowds but a check here too. Also an observation from me. Bring along a strong man to push your trolley. The shopping trollies are all suffering from a serious obesity problem and I was grateful to not be pushing one. On the plus side-you can fit two children in the front of the trolley. We also saw someone pushing a big guy in a trolley. The trolley is almost too wide for the footpath so I imagine there will be many standoffs trying to get to or from the centre. Perhaps even a bit of trolley-rage!
The cafe outside was on par with Ikea prices and meant we could feed the kids cheaply as a treat for dinner.
The only real downside of our journey was Isabella falling backwards off one of the benches and hitting her head really hard on the seat behind her. She screamed the house down and when I managed to calm her down I noticed blood on her head and an enormous egg. Poor little thing! Josh was a huge help and bribed her with playing on his i-phone when Hamish started screaming as well. I had him in the baby bjorn and when Isabella hurt herself I calmed her down and gave her a big cuddle and he woke up. I then needed to feed him and Josh looked after Bella. What a great big brother she has. He was so concerned with how she was he couldn't finish his pie. Almost unheard of in a growing teenager. So sweet!
We got a great deal on Huggies nappies which were $58 for a box of 184, and bought a few other odds and ends which set us back $210! I read a few forum posts about Costco shopping and how to do it so that you actually save money. People suggested that you first arrive in a big enough car. People mover - check! Next you knew your prices. Other store catalogues (not a check here, but useful for our next expedition). Stick to fresh or dried, canned foods and avoid prepackaged meals that are super high in fat and are NOT cheaper. Check. We bought a big package of snow peas, some cucumbers and a package of cos lettuces. All will last long enough to be eaten. Be prepared to spend a few hours there. Check. Stay calm. Harder to do with the HUGE crowds but a check here too. Also an observation from me. Bring along a strong man to push your trolley. The shopping trollies are all suffering from a serious obesity problem and I was grateful to not be pushing one. On the plus side-you can fit two children in the front of the trolley. We also saw someone pushing a big guy in a trolley. The trolley is almost too wide for the footpath so I imagine there will be many standoffs trying to get to or from the centre. Perhaps even a bit of trolley-rage!
The cafe outside was on par with Ikea prices and meant we could feed the kids cheaply as a treat for dinner.
The only real downside of our journey was Isabella falling backwards off one of the benches and hitting her head really hard on the seat behind her. She screamed the house down and when I managed to calm her down I noticed blood on her head and an enormous egg. Poor little thing! Josh was a huge help and bribed her with playing on his i-phone when Hamish started screaming as well. I had him in the baby bjorn and when Isabella hurt herself I calmed her down and gave her a big cuddle and he woke up. I then needed to feed him and Josh looked after Bella. What a great big brother she has. He was so concerned with how she was he couldn't finish his pie. Almost unheard of in a growing teenager. So sweet!
| Police directing traffic outside Costco |
| Trolleys everywhere. |
| The queue. |
| Josh trying out the 3D TV. |
| Sammy's turn. |
| Helping Isabella out. |
| Sammy at the seafood counter. |
| The supersized trolley. |
| The crowds. |
| Eating Costco Frozen yoghurt. |
| Josh and his pie. |
| The bill for Costco's cafe. |
| Pie with mustard, sauce and green relish. |
| Poor Isabella's injured head. |
| On our way home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment