CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Porpoise Pool

Finishing slurpees before the show.
Josh threw the hoop that the dolphin is catching.
Isabella cleaning a dolphin's teeth.
Feeding a shark with tongs.
Looking at fairy penguins.
After finding our accomodation at Emerald Beach Big 4 Park I followed their links to things to do. One of the links was to the Porpoise Pool. I ended up booking online for us to go and saved us $5! Not a huge amount, but I figured if I save a little here and a little there we'll be able to do a few extra activities. So for all of us it was $90 and I think that was a bargain for what we got. We decided last minute to go today after we had a break in the rain. The next show was on at 12:30 and we managed to get there just after 12. We had to go via the RTA to get some new plates for the car after having one of our plates fall off on the trip up to Coffs Harbour. The kids were excited about the prospect of getting a kiss from a seal and to be honest I was too! We not only got a big sloppy fishy kiss from a seal but we also got one from a dolphin, including Hamish who just looked surprised when he had an enormous dolphin lurch at his tiny little face from the water. We got to get up really close to some dolphins and play catch with a rugby ball. We were instructed to get the ball from the water and then when the dolphin opened his mouth then we had to throw it in gently. One of the dolphin's names was Bella! While playing ball we got to stroke the dolphins head and when they turned over we stroked their bellies. Later on we got to stoke a seal as it 'walked' past us. Before we left we got to feed some fish to a seal, some very aggressive Port Jackson sharks (I didn't do this!) and then a fairy penguin. During the seal and porpoise show the kids were able to be very involved because it was so quiet. It was great not having to fight with the usual holiday crowds! During the show Sammy got called up to play catch with a seal, Josh got called up to play frisbee with a seal and towards the end of the show Isabella got to use an over sized yellow toothbrush to clean a dolphins teeth. We had an amazing time and laughed a lot. We had such an amazing time and I know that the kids won't forget this experience any time soon. New experiences for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment